Saturday, July 30, 2005

 
Well, it's getting close to the new semester, and it will be time to head back into the classroom. I've got to admit: I'm excited. I've been out of the classroom for about six months now (I've been teaching for ten years), and I've missed it more than I imagined I would. This fall semester I'm going to teach two sections of EDTC 3123, the basic preservice teacher technology course. I'm okay with teaching that, although I'm excited to get to work with graduate students agian (it's been four years since I taught on the graduate level). At least they'll be easy preps and I should be able to prepare without much ado. Then spring semester (or winter semester--I don't know what they call it at OSU yet) I'm teaching Instructional Design and Multimedia Design and Development. Soon I'll have to start worrying about those.

But right now I have to finish all the little things from my dissertation. It's written, defended, and I have all the signatures, but I just found out I have some formatting things I have to finish. I think I'll definitely try to get a graduate student to do that for me.

I think most of all I'm glad to get back with my family. We've been back and forth apart as I've finished my dissertation and started the new job, and tomorrow I fly out to get them. I miss them terribly. I'm looking forward to seeing my wife, Lori. She's taken on WAY TOO MUCH as I've been gone these last months, and I'll never be able to repay her for it. I also miss my two oldest kids, John and Natalie, and we've even had a new one, Andrew, in the time I've been gone. Like I said, I'm most excited to be with them again.

You know, if I've learned anything these last few months as I've finished my dissertation, it would be this: I love instructional design. I'm really good at it, it's extremely interesting, and I find it challenging. But as much as I love it, I don't think I ever realized how much more I love my family. I've always been one who spent too much time at work.

But not any more. I'm ready to be home.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?